Friday, January 29, 2010

The Plans

Today marked the grand re-arrival of the plans I ordered from the Guild of American Luthiers, henceforth the GAL. Plan # 42, '51 Barbero is the plan I am using, http://www.luth.org/plans/classic.htm . Originally I had ordered these in late December, they came mid January(the 16th if anyone cares) and I was satisfied until I got out the ruler.

Turns out, the whole drawing was 1/8" too small in all directions. This is pretty much unacceptable in all senses. If I am to use it, then I have to remeasure all of the parts on the pages, re number them etc and chances are I'd have to proportionately scale down the height of the braces. Too much math!

So, I sent an email to the GAL boys. They expressed some concern and mild bewilderment. Tim was very cool about it though and sent me off a new set of plans right away. Today is, or rather yesterday because it is now tomorrow..., January 28, almost a month after I originally ordered the plans.

I was planning on using January to really get rolling on this guitar, but it looks as if that was a bit of a shuck around the old shaft!

Next up, the solera!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment